A Former Feudal Lord’s Residence turned into Popular Cherry Blossom Viewing Spot
Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden originated in the Edo Period as a residence of a feudal lord called the Naito family. Later the residence was converted to a botanical garden, then eventually transferred to Imperial Family in 1903 for their recreation and entertainment of guests. The Garden was almost completely destroyed during World War II, but was eventually rebuilt and reopened in 1949 to the public.
Traditional Japanese Gardens
The oldest garden located in this park is a traditional Japanese landscape garden, accommodating several large ponds with small islands and bridges. Shrubs and trees surround the ponds together with several pavilions including Kyu Goryotei, or Taiwan Pavilion, built to celebrate the wedding of Showa Emperor Hirohito.
French and English Style Gardens
The park’s other main gardens include a symmetrically arranged formal French garden, and an English landscape garden concept of wide, open lawns surrounded by cherry trees. The rest of the park consists of forested areas, lawns and several structures including a restaurant, an information center and an art gallery. There is also a beautiful greenhouse with many tropical and subtropical flowers.
A Dozen Different Kinds of Cherry Trees attract People in March and April
Shinjuku Gyoen is home to a large number of cherry trees of more than a dozen different varieties. From late March to early April, more than 400 Somei Yoshino cherry trees blossom around the English garden, turning the lawns into one of Tokyo’s most popular and pleasant cherry blossom viewing spots. In addition, the park has numerous early and late blooming cherry trees, which provide an extended cherry blossom viewing season for those who miss the main season.